Dr. William Ayer Lincoln
William Ayers Lincoln was born in Stanstead, Quebec, probably in 1878. He graduated from McGill University in 1904 and came to Calgary in 1907, where he went into private practice. For a brief period, he left to go to London, England to do post-graduate work; he returned to Calgary to resume his practice. During this time, he built up an excellent reputation.
Dr. Lincoln was one of the founding members of Associate Clinic, and at the Clinic as well as at the Holy Cross Hospital, he was often responsible for taking x-rays.
Many doctors during this time often took an interest in both civic and medical affairs in Calgary, and Dr. Lincoln was no different. In addition to being an alderman for four years, he was chairman of the public library. He also served as the president of the Alberta Medical Association in 1916. He was on the board of executives of the Canadian Medical Association, and after being president in 1946, during the next year was made a life member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta. Dr. Lincoln was also the first superintendent of the Calgary General Hospital and was responsible for establishing the Calgary chapter of the Victorian Order of Nurses.
Dr. Lincoln was the only one of the founding members to leave Associate Clinic before retirement. Based on his excellent reputation, by 1938, he established a very successful practice as a very able and busy surgeon
Middlemiss, J. and F.C. Harris. “The Calgary Associate Clinic.” In Medical Clinics and Physicians of Southern Alberta, 59-88. Calgary:G.M. McDougall, 1991.